Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

DiploBall 3, Week 17: Here We Go Again!

***** Week 18 Starts TONIGHT!!!  *****

***** GET YOUR PICKS IN PRONTO! *****

Wow, these last couple weeks have felt like a marathon.  No time to relax… just pick!  And this week is going to be HUGE!  Week 18 has 37 games, making it the biggest week of the season!  With this many points up for grabs anything can happen.

That said; it looks like my luck may be starting to run out. 

I normally don’t take a lot of chances on my picks and play a pretty conservative game, but by midseason I came to the conclusion that my only chance to overtake Jim and VJ was to play against my strengths… meaning ‘fish for upsets’.  I’ve done this unsuccessfully in previous years, but this season things were really looking good.  By week 16 I had managed to cut VJ’s lead from 138 to 32 points.  However… week 17 didn’t really work out the way I hoped… now VJ is enjoying a 60 point lead.

This is totally my fault of course, more so than just making bad picks.  Normally, I make my picks on Tuesdays and just let them be.  However, this week, I think I freaked out a little and I fussed with my weights too much.  The picks I played ended up looking very different than the initial picks I submitted on Tuesday… and it hurt me in the long run.

Anyway, all and all, I’ve been really happy with how I’ve been playing these season.  I’ve totally learned from my week 17 mishap… and I’m ready for the week 18 showdown.  Goonies never die!

1st Place: EricC (11)

Speaking of Goonies never dying.  Eric will not go quietly into the night!  I think being eliminated from the DiploBall Legacy League focused Eric and prepared him for battle.  Since his elimination three weeks ago, Eric has finished in the top two position of the DiploBall Pick ‘Em League.  Awesome job man!

2nd Place:  President Malaise (7)

More DiploBall Legacy League news:  A big congratulations goes out to Jason for winning our inaugurate year!  If you actually read these weekly recaps you’ll know Jason eliminated Eric to claim the fourth (and final) spot in the playoffs.  And being the fourth seed certainly didn’t intimidate him… because he drove his team all the way to victory!  Perhaps we’ll see another underdog rise-up and claim the Pick ‘Em victory!   


3rd Place:  Ryan (8)

A great showing for Ryan… although he did pick the Saints… sure, I know the Saints won and his 15 point pick was correct.  But… yeah… securing a third play finish by picking against the Falcons is never going to ingratiate yourself to me.  However, since the Falcons clinched a spot in the playoffs, even though they lost, I forgive you.  

NCAA MVP of the Week: ARose (12)

Hats off to ARose for being the only person to pick all 5 bowl games correct!

NFL MVP of the Week: Pac12Bear

Pac12Bear had the second best NFL week, just behind EricC.  Unfortunately, Pac tanked the bowl games, leaving him with a very unbalanced week.

‘Most Correct Picks’ Honorable Mention: VNIBarger (15) and Tashkent1 (20)

Oddly enough, neither of our top picks winners made the point’s leader board this week!  Keep this in mind as we move into week 18.  Weighting your picks is VERY important!

‘Random Pick Of the Week’ Honorable Mention:  Jeff (21)

Jeff has had a very rough season, and frankly, week 17 wasn’t any different.  However, Jeff was the only person to pick Minnesota over Washington.  And that is worth recognizing.

Last Place:  Robbins (17)

Well… this is yet another example of how important weights can be.  Robbins picked 13 games correctly and came in 20th place.  However, Hess also picked 13 games correct and came in 11th place.  And interestingly enough, President Malaise can in 2nd place with 14 correct picks.  The margins we’re working with here are very small.

Have a great week everyone!  Happy picking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.