Pages

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

DiploBall 3, Week 18: It’s All Up to the Wind

Happy New Year everyone!
This season of DiploBall has taught me a very important lesson.  It has taught me the difference between taking random chances and calculated risks.  Taking random chances comes with a great deal of dread… candles may be lit and prayers said… and when it doesn’t go my way all I can think about is how stupid I was for taking such a ridiculous chance.  However, taking a calculated risk might not always go my way… but regardless of the outcome I still feel great for going for it!   
Although my 4th place finish this week ended up dropping me back down to 3rd place overall I am very pleased with how I played.  Out of the ten games I missed, seven of them were decided a touchdown or less.  If the wind had been blowing in a different direction for Wisconsin, Stanford, Houston, NY Jets, or Iowa State, (any one of them, not all of them)… Pops wouldn’t be enjoying such a nice lead.
Oh well.  That’s why their calculated risks.  Now I have to focus on getting a perfect week to get back some of the points I’ve lost in previous week!
The game isn’t over yet!
1st Place: Ryan (5)
It has been a remarkable few weeks for Ryan.  For the last three weeks he has manages to place in the top four… and that consistency has propelled him from 9th place all the way to 5th in the season standings!  With four weeks left and the ‘Perfect Week Bonus’ on the line… can Ryan make up the 87 points he needs to take 4th away from Ted?
2nd Place & ‘Most Correct Picks’: Jim Schutz (2)
VJ called this during our pregame Schutz family babble.  Jim is by far the strongest NCAA picker of the family, and it is no surprise he wound up on top… I just wish he hadn’t done so well, because now I’m back to having two people to topple in the next four weeks.
3rd Place: VJ Schutz (1)
Seriously.  I was watching our picks very closely and I know poor old dad was sweating a lot this week, especially going into the final three games.  He had gone big, with more than 20 points, on UGA, Oregon, and OK State.  I had done the complete opposite, having gone low, supporting all three rival teams… and you can imagine… with Michigan States OT win, the gantlets had been thrown.    Unfortunately, my other two picks had wound up just a tad to short.
NCAA MVP of the Week: President Malaise (8)
If you ignore Jason’s NFL standings, he had a really amazing week!  He actually tied Jim and VJ for the most correct Bowl Game picks, 18 out of 21.
NFL MVP of the Week: Hess (9)
Hess ended up in second place for the NFL games, with 12 out of 16 games and 256 points earned!
Last Place: Rada (16)
Oh Rada… I had really hoped you’d start your year on a better note!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.